Re: Mail addresses and extended character sets

2001-06-26 04:12:56

In <01K56KTOLSTQ00003N(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com>
ned+ietf-822(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com writes:

Fine! Please can you point me to whichever of the umpteen IDN drafts
addresses this particular issue?

even I have a difficult time keeping track.  but I don't think we should
even attempt to address this in email until the question of how to do it
in DNS is well-settled

Indeed we cannot make firm proposals for email, but it would be wise to
see what they are up to, and to stick our oar in if it looks like they are
proposing something unsuitable.

In the meantime, I can see a particular problem coming up in mailing
moderators. Agreed it will not be settled in time for the Usefor draft,
but it would be helpful to know in advance what the eventual solutions are
likely to look like.

Exactly. It is nothing short of sheer lunacy to worry about the LHS
of email addresses when the rules for the RHS are still up the air.

On the contrary, if someone is inventing an encoding for use in the RHS of
an addr-spec, then life will be much easier if they arrange things so that
the same encoding can be used on the LHS. That is why we should be
watching what they are up to.

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.