Re: Locating RFC [2]822 headers

2001-09-20 11:00:27

At 10:03 AM 9/20/01 +0000, Charles Lindsey wrote:
Please can someone enlighten us as to the mechanisms necessary to
establish a new IANA registry? Does one write an RFC
instructing/authorising them to do it, or is it done just by some edict of
IESG? If an RFC is needed, then I suspect this List is a good place to
prepare the draft, but of course we need to bring the News and HTTP people
on board (plus some input from IANA, of course).

My understanding is this: basically, write an I-D, and see if consensus can be found progress it to RFC/BCP publication.

(My original query here was a precursor to possibly undertaking such a task. The feedback here has been useful. I'm not completely decided, but I'm inclined towards composing a simple registry draft and testing the waters further.)

#g

<Graham(_dot_)Klyne(_at_)Baltimore(_dot_)com>    <http://www.mimesweeper.com>
                                <http://www.baltimore.com>