Re: Locating RFC [2]822 headers

2001-09-26 01:01:28

At 16.52 -0700 01-09-19, Dave Crocker wrote:
At 10:13 AM 9/19/2001, Keith Moore wrote:
the danger in creating such a registry is that it will be used
to legitimize certain bad practices that have been implemented with
little thought.

That is an inherent danger in any open registration environment. It has not proved problem in any other IANA registration activities, as far as I am aware. If there is strong enough concern, of course, we can direct IANA to permit only those registrations that are standards track.

The existence of a header in such a registry need not mean
that this header is "legal" other than when the registry
refers to a standard for the definition of the header.
The existence could just be interpreted that you should
not re-use an existing header name for a new purpose.

This could be specified in the rules for the registry.
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/