RE: draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-00.txt

2001-10-03 11:53:30

But I'll ask:  would not the existence of a registry of approved headers
make the pollutants more conspicuous by their absence from the registry?

my concern is that we'll register the pollution, and thereby confer
legitimacy on it.

RFC2076 did a nice job of indicating which headers were legit and
which were not legitimate.

Any registration process needs to be similar, and describe the
various meanings.  For example, "registering" the header "Precedence"
wouldn't be useful because its usage isn't fixed (some apps use
numeric, others use all sorts of text, and so on), so a "registration"
needs to acknowledge this fact.

-d