Re: draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-00.txt

2002-02-02 16:33:45

At 13.02 -0500 02-02-02, Keith Moore wrote:
First, I said we should "encourage" people to get consensus before deployment,
not that we should "force" people.  I agree that it's not possible to force
people to get consensus before deploying code.  But practices that encourage
review and consensus can still be useful.

Second, there's a difference between gettting consensus and standardization.
It's possible to get consensus on a proposal without meeting the 2026
requirements for standards-track, and this happens frequently.

Third, though IETF often does "implement first, make a standard afterwards"
it's not often the case that the protocol that is first implemented becomes
a standard without any changes.  And the protocols for which this does
happen are usually those that had rough consensus (or at least some
review and changes based on feedback) before deployment.

I have no disagreement with what you write above.
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/