Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-02.txt

2002-02-03 11:55:44

At 10:27 AM 2/3/2002 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
Dave Crocker <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com> writes:
> There is a difference between a casual, personal activity, versus a
> formal one operated by an organization.

Yes, there is, but that's beside the point.

actually, it is pretty much the entire point.

I don't see any useful purpose served by a half-way registry that doesn't
contain just standardized, documented, and reviewed headers,

the value judgement of the phrase 'half-way' can apply to what you prefer, too.

If one is interested in interoperability, then publishing only specifications that are standardized, while excluding specifications that are not, is certainly no better than half-way.

The IETF is quite well-qualified to set up and establish the rules for
maintaining the latter.

This is an IANA activity. IANA already runs some registry services of the model proposed in msghdr-registry.

So if we are going to make assertions about appropriateness, we need to be sure to consider the full range of actual history and operation of IANA.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464