Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-02.txt

2002-02-03 11:27:13

Dave Crocker <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com> writes:
At 10:11 AM 2/3/2002 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

I don't see any point in putting details that may change or be dropped
entirely into an IETF header registry.  If that's what you want, just
use Dan's registry.

There is a difference between a casual, personal activity, versus a
formal one operated by an organization.

Yes, there is, but that's beside the point.

I don't see any useful purpose served by a half-way registry that doesn't
contain just standardized, documented, and reviewed headers, but
simultaneously doesn't contain all the headers being used.  I do see a
useful purpose served by both a registry that contains everything and a
registry that contains only well-documented and reviewed headers.

The IETF is quite well-qualified to set up and establish the rules for
maintaining the latter.  I think it's poorly qualified to maintain the
former, and I don't think that it should try.

If some organization wants to pick up Dan's registry, that could arguably
make it more stable and useful, but I don't think the IETF is the right
organization to do that.  Among other things, having a standards body
maintain an explicitly unstandardized list seems like a conflict of goals.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>