Re: I-D ACTION:draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-02.txt

2002-02-04 09:36:23

At 11:08 AM 2/4/2002 -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
> Basic RFC rule:  informational specs are published.

In fact, that's not the rule.  The rule is closer to:
The RFC Editor decides, unless the document is approved by IESG.
Because the RFC Editor has always exercised some degree of
editorial control, and has never published any random document
that someone submitted.

oh? that contradicts actual history, Keith, as well as the premise behind the RFC series.

> And, by the way, there is no empirical basis for claiming that all that
> IETF review produces a useful effect.

No, there's not - because you can't do a controlled experiment.

"empirical" does not require a controlled experiment. however your response does demonstrate the problem with our making strong statements about human behavior. namely it demonstrates that we do not have the tools for making such statements about future occurrences involving subtleties of human choice.

But the IETF's role (for better or worse) is to try to determine
the sense of a broad community about which proposals are good

Again you are confusing IETF review and approval with IANA registration.

Different goals, different criteria.  Please keep them separate.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464