Re: I-D ACTION:draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-02.txt

2002-02-03 13:41:19

At 10.35 -0500 02-02-03, Keith Moore wrote:
There needs to be some way of determining whether putting that field name
in the registry will benefit the community.  It could be IESG approval,
it could be a consensus process, or it could be something else. Ideally the process would encourage people to not only publish their
specifications but also to get review on them and to revise them
(or discard them) in light of such review.

But regardless, registering anything with a spec is simply too dangerous.

Would it not be better to register everything, but to tag
each entry with its degree of support. The tag could
have for example one of the following values:
- IETF standard
- IETF draft standard
- IETF proposed standard
- IETF experimental standard
- IETF historical standard
- ITU standard
- ISO standard
- Agreed in a consensus in a consensus forum
- Non-consensus, each alternative view is described in the registry
  (example: "Newsgorups" in e-mail)
- Use discouraged according to consensus in a consensus forum
- Vendor-specific
- Commonly used, but no consensus on specification
- Experimental, may become standard in the future