Re: I-D ACTION:draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-02.txt

2002-02-05 05:12:23

In <p05100301b882bc546fb2(_at_)[130(_dot_)237(_dot_)150(_dot_)141]> Jacob Palme
<jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> writes:

At 22.23 -0800 02-02-02, Dave Crocker wrote:

Registering header names that have different associated
specifications, depending upon which protocol service is
being used, is highly counterproductive.  (I'd say
"silly", but the role of inflammatory contributor to this
thread is well and truly taken, already.)

But when this is (unfortunately) already the case, such as
with "Newsgroups" in e-mail versus news, and "Date" in
e-mail versus HTTP, the registry should reflect this
reality, even if we do not like it. The registry can
then either warn against some or all use of this header
name, or just describe the different usage in different
standards.

Well Usefor is addressing the "Newsgroups" in e-mail problem. But
basically you are right. A header is usually invented first of all for one
particular protocol. When it comes to be adopted into another, it usually
will be found to be not a perfect fit (though one should try to use as
much or the original as possible). So we have adopted MIME (written for
email) into Usefor, but we have had to flesh out a few corners,
discourages certain usages, and so on (but not half the amount of change
that HTTP had to make to it).

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.