Newsgroups

2002-02-05 11:55:21

At 19.21 +0000 02-02-04, Charles Lindsey wrote:
Well Usefor is addressing the "Newsgroups" in e-mail problem. But
basically you are right. A header is usually invented first of all for one
particular protocol. When it comes to be adopted into another, it usually
will be found to be not a perfect fit (though one should try to use as
much or the original as possible). So we have adopted MIME (written for
email) into Usefor, but we have had to flesh out a few corners,
discourages certain usages, and so on (but not half the amount of change
that HTTP had to make to it).

The problem was that "Newsgroups" in e-mail had two different
meanings:

(a) The same as in news, indicating which newsgroup this message
    has been sent to.

(b) In personal answers to news articles, indicating in which
    newsgroup the message appeared which this is a personal
    answer to.

Since there are many much used UAs which produce "Newsgroups"
in e-mail in both these ways, the solution which was agreed
when I discussed this several years ago, was to say that if
"Newsgroups" appears in e-mail, the recipient should disregard
it, and if you want to indicate in e-mail that a particular
message has also been published in a newsgroup, you should
instead use "Posted-To".

Is this the solution which usefor has arrived at, or have
you some other solution to the problem?
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/