Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-02.txt

2002-02-07 09:59:38

should someone be allowed to register a header and state in the
description that this is meant to deprecate an IETF standard header?
Mail-Reply-To seems like the ideal example for that question.

Actually, if you read the Mail-Reply-To spec, you'll see that it's meant
to fix the (problematic) de-facto standard use of Reply-To, which is
very different from the (even more problematic) IETF use of Reply-To.

My web pages distinguish (1) the behavior of real implementations, (2)
the IETF specifications, and (3) my recommendations. In contrast, IETF
authors often explicitly refuse to document the behavior of real
implementations, because they claim that implementors can't handle the
truth. You can see the same paternalism from Keith in this discussion.

---Dan