RE: Content-Transfer-Encoding and yEnc

2002-04-04 09:18:25

I don't mean to open a rat hole here, but has the use of gzip as part of
the yEnc encoding been seriously considered?

I understand that a compressed CTE was considered as part of the
original MIME architecture but that nothing could be agreed on at the
time.  If something non-backward compatible, specific to the NNTP
medium, requiring new code be deployed, and designed for reducing the
size of files, it seems sort of odd not to compress the binary before
CRLF stuffing and shifting the NULLs.

I definitely agree that a gzipped CTE would be a good idea.

                                Ned