Re: Content-Transfer-Encoding and yEnc

2002-04-04 11:55:39

Dan Kohn <dan(_at_)dankohn(_dot_)com> writes:

I don't mean to open a rat hole here, but has the use of gzip as part of
the yEnc encoding been seriously considered?

It's not really been considered for Usenet because essentially all of the
binaries posted to Usenet are already compressed.  (GIFs, JPEGs, MP3s, ZIP
files, compressed movies, etc.)  A compressed CTE would be a lot more
useful in mail than on Usenet.

(Why some compressed formats have large sections of NULs, I have no idea.
That makes me think that either some of those compression formats are less
than ideal or the advantages of byte-shifting have been overstated.)

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>