Re: IDN (was Did anyone tell Microsoft yet?)

2002-05-05 20:15:09

Yes. Unfortunately, the IDNA proponents are refusing to consider local
parts, login names, etc.

perhaps because it's not in their charter to do so?

They seem to assume that other groups adopt their solution to solve
such problems though.  This group seem to look at adopting the IDN
solutions for localpart.  Which may be a bad idea since the IDNA
proposals wasn't developed to solve this issues.

perhaps - though I think that the problems are similar enough that
IDNA will be a good candidate for the local-part solution.

The IDN WG should have been chartered to achieve IDNs in core internet
protocols, not just IDNs as an isolated entity.

not clear.  the last thing I'd want is to have the IDN people
making changes to several internet protocols - their expertise is
much more in the technical and/or political problems associated
with domains, not in email, news, web, directories, etc..

Keith