Re: local-part conventions and enhancements

2002-05-06 01:17:45

At 11:52 PM 5/5/2002 -0700, ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:
Agreed. Additionally, the optional fields in 3192 and 3193 are associated with
offramp functionality, which makes the concerns about being able to map the
local-parts of such addresses to mailboxes moot.

the purpose of 3192/3193 was for offramp, yes. however that's really a 'local' decision of the system processing the local-part.

what makes the template inappropriate for other sorts of services, some of which are not offramp, but instead something on the targeting host?

Some of the X.400 fields had a flavor similar to the FAX parameters (the postal
delivery stuff, for example) but it was never entirely clear to me where the
boundary between matched and unmatched fields was. And there were around 48
possible fields in an X.400 address... What a mess.

i think the fundamental error was to start with an all-singing, all-dancing, all-encompassing and too rigid syntax. by contrast we've had an entirely loose one that works well, and the idea behind retro-fitting these <service>"=" local-part templates is that each one would have a well-defined -- ie, constrained -- use.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.850.1850