Re: local-part conventions and enhancements

2002-05-06 02:41:39

Dave,

I wrote:
I think that
achieving a similar consensus for local-parts will be difficult. I for
one, will take a lot of convincing.

You wrote:
RFC3192 and RFC3193 focus on using a template for local-part that
pertains
to encoding telephone information.

As I think you would expect, I have absolutely no objection to local-part
encoding, per se. For that matter, I have no philosophical objection to
the use of UTF8 in RFC 2822 headers, I'm just not sure how to get there.
What I was objecting to was defining an over-arching encoding scheme for
local-parts for the sole purpose of encoding accented names in the
local-part.

Nick