Re: local-part conventions and enhancements

2002-05-06 11:01:35

At 01:54 PM 5/6/2002 -0400, Keith Moore wrote:

I must have missed something.  If interpretation of the local-part is
entirely a matter for the domain, why do we need to standardize the
structure of the local-part?

yeah.  it IS confusing.

the phone-related template is a global standard. the benefit of this is that each recipient (offramp) will not have different syntax or different basic semantics. this is a big win.

the theory is that there is benefit in extending this model for other parametric local-part situations. the clear requirement, however, is backward compatibility so that the more popular free-form local-part continues.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.850.1850