Re: I-D Recommendations for Automatic Responses to Electronic Mail

2002-06-17 05:33:01

Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
sounds more like: if you can't manage to do things well, standardize the
stupidity and claim that you like it that way.

Or "if you can't manage to do things well, standardize the best you can".
"the least bad", if you wish.

I think it's safe to assume that if the document doesn't say anything
about precedence, setting precedence will remain the best way to be
ignored by bots, and the best-behaved bots will continue to use it.

That is, the options seem to be:

 1. Describe something better. (I'm at a loss as to what.)
 2. Describe some relatively tasteful form of Precedence.
 3. Silently accept the current state of things.

my current plan is to document the possible use of Precedence to suppress
vacation-style autoresponses, without making it part of the standard.

Keith