Re: Interpretation of RFC 2047

2002-12-19 21:51:47

Distinction noted, but that doesn't clarify matters. 1894 also states:

    Since these fields are defined according to the rules of RFC 822, the
    same conventions for continuation lines and comments apply.
    Notification fields may be continued onto multiple lines by beginning
    each additional line with a SPACE or HTAB.  Text which appears in
    parentheses is considered a comment and not part of the contents of
    that notification field.  Field names are case-insensitive, so the
    names of notification fields may be spelled in any combination of
    upper and lower case letters.  Comments in DSN fields may use the
    "encoded-word" construct defined in [7].

Reference 7 is RFC 1522, an earlier part of the MIME RFCs (the current
set includes 2047, which is the part dealing with encoded words).

but 2047 is the authoritative definition here, not 822.

As author of 3 of the 4 DSN RFCs I can confidently state that
the structuring conventions of RFC 822 header fields were not intended
to apply to DSNs fields.

In light of the above quote from section 2.1.1 of RFC 1894, could you
please clarify which parts of 822 header fields structuring conventions
do not apply to the DSN fields; certainly the ABNF is used, and 2.1.1
refers to continuation lines and comments.

for the purpose of this discussion the relevant point is that for DSNs,
encoded-words are only recognized within comments, per the language in 2047.

one important difference between some 1894 fields and 822 fields is that
several 1894 fields consist of a structured portion followed by a
non-structured portion.

And as author of RFC 2047 I can confidently
state that encoded-words are not intended to be used or interpreted in
message bodies  (except for message bodies that by their definition
contain 822 messages or message headers)

That would seem to be a repudiation of 1894's reference to 1522
specifically mentioning encoded-words.  It seems that I must be
missing something terribly important or there's a contradiction
between what you and G.V. wrote in 1894 section 2.1.1 and what you
now say w.r.t. encoded words and DSN fields -- have I misunderstood?

I'd forgotten that in 1894 I had permitted use of encoded-words in comments.

Keith