Re: RFC 2047 and gatewaying

2003-01-07 13:59:07

Keith Moore a écrit:
Well then maybe the IETF needs a reality check too.

there seems to be a lot of need for reality checks.

It's always a good thing to do a reality check.

[...]
widespread current practice is to do things that work on a local
level, even if that practice diverges from one user to another,
or one group to another. [...]

in standards work, it's more important to specify something that can
be made to scalably interoperate than to specify something that is
compatible with existing practice.

I fully agree with all of that.
I spend time discussing USEFOR, because I'd love the current non-scalable situation to change.

My point was that the argument that it's bad and evil to make an incompatible change that would mean that 8 bit data would circulate somewhere where it's not allowed in the current standards is weak because the actual situation is that a lot of 8 bit data is being sent.

And that the current endorsed solution for sending non US-ASCII data (RFC2047) has so many problems that in many situations, messages are more likely be handled correctly by sending them in raw 8 bits that by using RFC2047.

It was not my point to support any solution that does not scale.
I would 100% approve that a change for something that does not scale is bad and evil.

But by saying that I have misrepresented Usefor which I regret.
The current version is almost 100% compatible with email standard.
Maybe it can be made 100% compatible by enhancing the part that is still problematic. I just intended to voice why usefor is favoring an 8 bit solution in usenet, not to say change incompatible with email are a good thing if there's any way to avoid them.