Re: RFC 2047 and gatewaying

2003-01-07 14:28:47

Here's an interesting path forward, although it's probably going to get
blasted for attempting to rewrite how e-mail works, that said:

* Define a new standard for Unicode based "messages".  I'll call this
  "rfcM".  For the moment I'll suggest we think about a UTF-8 format
  similar to what e-mail and Usenet look like today, headers, body,
  UTF-8 everywhere.  (Could also be UTF-16, UTF-32, or whatever, I'm
  going to use UTF-8 just as a point of discussion.)

* Extend MIME (eg, define types) to allow for "message/rfcM".  Boom,
  e-mail is good.  On 7 bit transports we can base64 encode the part,
  on 8 bit clean transports they can be sent raw.  At least for now
  everyone will presumably use the base64 method.

  - At this point e-mail transport RFC's should be updated for 8 bit
    clean transport (assuming UTF-8), so at some point in the future
    that can be the default choice.

* Define the new usenet format as an extension to "rfcM", adding the
  special headers and other junk necessary to support news.

Now, mail<->news is easy.  Moderators would need e-mail clients that
understand message/rfcM, but other than that there are no transport
issues.  Over time, message/rfcM would become part of more and more
mail clients, eventually allowing message/rfc822 to be depreferenced,
leaving us with Unicode clean e-mail and news.  Going the other way
is easy, e-mail that came in as message/rfcM can be turned directly
into news, things that came in as message/rfc822 would go through a
ISO-8859-1->UTF-8 translation and then be put into news.

Granted, I've left out a lot of details, but wouldn't this sort of
high level direction allow e-mail and usenet to reconverge in a
compatable format in the future, and make the interim time not too
painful for either group?

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell(_at_)ufp(_dot_)org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request(_at_)tmbg(_dot_)org, www.tmbg.org