RE: Call for Usefor to recharter

2003-01-08 01:21:10

Thanks for the update.  I agree that the next logical step is for
Patrick to chime in, or say that he's not planning to.  (Note that my
error was because Ned, not Patrick, is listed as the Applications Area
Advisor at <http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/usefor-charter.html>.)

It's certainly a point of contention of whether there are only "several
hundred" gateways, that are all "special-purpose".  My impression is
that a significant number of extant IMAP servers also gateway
newsgroups, and that all of this RFC 1036-compliant software would
suddenly become non-compliant with usefor news messages (due to raw
UTF-8 in headers), potentially resulting in breakages for end-users.
For example, see [1] or [2].

By contrast, if i18n of news were accomplished with 2047/2231 encoding
(plus punycode for newsgroup names), all existing gateways (including
those used by moderators!) would keep working as usual, while providing
full i18n to anyone with an updated client (and most clients already
support 2047/2231, and will be getting punycode support for IDNA).

I'm cc'ing ietf-822 to look at concluding the thread there, but I agree
that this conversation belongs on usenet-format going forward.

[1] http://www.acm.org/chapters/bombay/news/archives/200002.html "Usenet
News can be fed into a shared folder and read as email"
[2]
http://www.washington.edu/imap/meeting.2nd/present/shakib/tsld010.htm
"Same environment as mail!"

          - dan
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan(_at_)dankohn(_dot_)com>
<http://www.dankohn.com/>  <tel:+1-650-327-2600>