Re: Call for Usefor to recharter

2003-01-11 13:49:12

Erland Sommarskog a écrit:
Furthermore, there are newsreaders today that understands UTF-8.

Today for all headers except the newsgroups one, Mozilla does exactly what is suggested by the current USEFOR draft. It will interpret the header as UTF-8 if it's valid UTF-8, and then try a local encoding, with a very configurable algorithm and possible autodetection (even without counting the UTF-8 aspect, only Emacs-GNUS/Agent are as configurable, and they don't have the universal autodetection available in Mozilla).

Many other readers can be configured to understand UTF-8, but usually will not be able to do that and simultanessly be able handle data in local encoding.
Such data is so common that it is an annoying restriction.

It might unnecessary to continue the ietf-822 cross-adressing in this discussion ? (I keeped it mostly because I've already said the above in the usefor ML)