Re: Historical trivia

2003-01-14 10:24:52

Dave Crocker wrote:
(I'd guess that GDT means Greenwhich Daylight Time, but
suspect there really is no such thing.)

There's a detailed list of time zone data at ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub.
But no mention of a GDT.  I suspect that it may have been included for
symmetry with the others (NST, introduced in 733, has no D counterpart
but wasn't in 724 or 561).

By the way, the reason for my questions, aside from historical interest
in 680, is that I have a parser which currently handles the text message
format from 822 forward, and I'm considering implementing backward
compatibility with the earlier standards.  Some parts would probably be
quite difficult to integrate with the current ones (so it's good news that
some of the 733 features were never used -- I can safely ignore them).