Re: Historical trivia

2003-01-15 03:50:19

Hi,

Nick Shelness wrote:

Dave Crocker wrote:

(I'd guess that GDT means Greenwhich Daylight Time, but
suspect there really is no such thing.)

For what it's worth, Britain currently uses two time-zone(?) designators. Greenwich (no "h") Mean Time (GMT) in the winter and British Summer Time (BST) in the summer. During World War II it also used a third (= GMT+2). I have no idea what that was called. Also, since Portugal (among other countries) is in the same time-zone(?). I presume they use another designator for GMT+1 in the summer. I have no idea what that is.

AFAIK nearly all of Western European countries (except for the British Isles and Ireland and maybe Iceland) use MET (Middle European Time) in winter and MET-DST in summer. MET is UTC+0100 while MET-DST is UTC+0200. And, I've also seen WET (Western European Time) used for the UK and Ireland as well. But alphanumerical timezones has always been ambiguous as I'm quite sure you will be able to find other use of MET and WET. I think the numeric format has the future.

/rolf

Rolf E. Sonneveld
www.sonnection.nl