Re: What's in a "name"? (Was Re: UTF-8 over RFC 2047 (Re: Call for Usefor to recharter))

2003-01-16 12:19:48

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Jean-Marc Desperrier wrote:
The ASCII in "case-independant ASCII" is an extremly important part.
When the name is not ASCII, the case-independance rules are ultimately
dependant on the locale used.

In particular, it is important to note that when you get beyond ASCII,
the case-independence rules change *even for ASCII letters*.

The poster-child example for this is that in Turkish, the uppercase version
of "i" is not "I", and the lowercase version of "I" is not "i".

(Turkish separates dotted and dotless I.  Uppercase "i" is "I" with a dot
above it, U+0130; lowercase "I" is "i" minus the dot, U+0131.)

                                                          Henry Spencer

henry(_at_)spsystems(_dot_)net