Re: UTF-8 over RFC 2047 (Re: Call for Usefor to recharter)

2003-01-14 16:18:14

David Barr <barr(_at_)visi(_dot_)com> writes:

If you are right and they are going to continue doing what they are
doing regardless, then your point is moot (since they wouldn't accept
either of the proposed routes).

Yes.  That is exactly and precisely my point.  Right now, the existence of
people sending unlabelled 8-bit national character sets on Usenet is being
used in support of UTF-8, which makes no sense to me at all.  Unlabelled
national character sets are not UTF-8.

I believe that what you say above is more likely to be true, namely that
what those folks are doing is basically moot from a standardization
viewpoint since they're doing the one thing that we *can't* standardize.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>