Re: UTF-8 over RFC 2047 (Re: Call for Usefor to recharter)

2003-01-15 10:47:15

Charles Lindsey <chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> writes:

Yes, and Usenet (or rather Usefor) is quite willing to stick its neck
out and be the guinea pig. It is an environment that is much more
tolerant of interoperability failures (or, it you like, it has lived
with them for years) and so is much better placed to cope with that
initial disruprion.  And we are quite willing to try to keep that
disruprion out of email so far as we can.

I usually don't point this out explicitly, since I'd be posting all day to
do so and I figure folks here are smart enough to figure it out, but this
is so blatant that I cannot just let it stand.

Charles, as eloquently as he expresses his personal opinions, does not
speak for Usenet.  He does not even speak for Usefor, although his
opinions seem to be relatively representative of a slim majority on the
group.  He is Usefor document editor, but not the Usefor chair, and there
are some of us on Usefor who are not at all convinced that Usenet is eager
and willing to serve as the guinea pig for testing UTF-8 in a messaging
protocol.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>