Re: UTF-8 over RFC 2047 (Re: Call for Usefor to recharter)

2003-01-14 14:07:34

Dave Crocker <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com> writes:

Russ,

Tuesday, January 14, 2003, 11:16:03 AM, you wrote:

Russ> Given that people have been sending 8-bit data in headers for
Russ> years without regard to any existing standard, why do you believe
Russ> that releasing a standard that mandates UTF-8 will cause them to
Russ> start paying attention to standards again?

Given that people often drive their cars with no regard for posted speed
limits, we should just get rid of the speed limits, right?

I think you're badly misunderstanding my point.  I'm on your side.  :)

My point is that just putting "use UTF-8" in a standard doesn't actually
solve any problems, nor does it cause people to switch all their
unlabelled 8-bit content over to UTF-8.  There has to be some additional
reason to believe that UTF-8 is something they want to use.

I understand Dan Bernstein's point as well, and am rather sympathetic to
it.  My point is just that I'd like to see some reason to believe that all
the people sending unlabelled 8-bit content are interested in moving to
UTF-8.  I don't see much evidence that they're that interested in changing
to anything else.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>