Re: Upgrading to UTF-8

2003-02-08 16:49:06

Keith Moore writes:
I said 'convincingly demonstrate'

Were you ever an EBCDIC user, Keith? Did you demand that the ASCII
proponents ``convincingly demonstrate how to make ASCII work well''?

Do you have trouble understanding how ASCII text today is successfully
copied from place to place and eventually displayed on your screen?

UTF-8 will work the same way as ASCII. Yes, the fonts take more space;
yes, some crude programming techniques (such as counting bytes to align
text in a fixed-width font) have to be abandoned; but all the details
have been clear for years. We already have many working UTF-8 programs.

Do you write any software, Keith? Does your software have problems with
UTF-8? Are you having trouble figuring out how to fix it? If so, tell us
the details, and we'll explain the solution to you.

---D. J. Bernstein, Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics,
Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Illinois at Chicago