Re: Upgrading to UTF-8

2003-02-11 07:46:52

Quoteing schaefer(_at_)brasslantern(_dot_)com, on Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at
05:52:06AM +0000:
On Feb 10,  9:42pm, Sam Roberts wrote:
}
} This seems to be a really important issue, and speaking as an
} implementor, if the mail standards HAVE to be as baroque and difficult
} as they are, fine, I can deal keep dealing with them, but, I would
} really, really, like to know the design rationale, because utf-8 sure
} does seem like it would solve a whole lot of problems.

Somebody must have made a similar speech about HDTV a few years ago.
How likely is it, really, that all stations in the U.S. will broadcast
exclusively in digital by Dec. 31, 2006?  If they actually do, what
proportion of television sets will be able to receive it?

Broken analogy:

My analog TV does NOTHING with HDTV signals.

My UA and incoming SMTP server delivers email with 8bit chars routinely.

TV is broadcast, email is point-to-(small number of points).

Sam