RE: Upgrading to UTF-8

2003-02-10 11:54:19

And if you had a shred of competency as an engineer or
protocol designer you'd be working on solutions to the very
real problems rather than trying to pretend that they don't exist.

The fact that there are almost a dozen different (and in many cases horribly
broken) encoding formats that are required now to implement an email
client/web browser is not a real problem?  The fact that messages floating
around often have to go through transformation after transformation,
encoding after encoding, just to get from one place to another, and that
*any* bugs or gaps with encoding along the way result in real breakage?
That is not a real problem?  The fact that because of typical
desgin-by-committee and generational effects we now have a series of
protocols layered on top of each other that are horribly complex, vague, and
broken?  And the fact that the vast majority of these problems would be
solved simply by having the balls to once and for all say "we shalt
transition all this shit to UTF-8"?

Rather than actually solve problems, the IETF would rather add more duct
tape to an already structurally unsound system.  This disturbs me.

--Dave