Re: mail vs. news ???

2003-02-21 16:52:10

Ken Murchison <ken(_at_)oceana(_dot_)com> writes:

OK.  As I suspected there is nothing inherent in RFC [2]822 that makes
it unsuitable for news.

Spaces in message IDs make them unsuitable for news.  This really, really
does break things, honest, I swear.  I'm not just making this up.  :)

In general, the statements in RFC 1036 putting additional limitations on
the article format *are* implemented on Usenet and *are* relied on in
practice by Usenet software.

But, rewriting your statement to say "there is nothing inherent in RFC
2822 with RFC 1036 limitations applied that makes it unsuitable for news,"
I agree.

So, the claims that mail and news are not the same was either misleading
and/or wishful thinking.

That is quite certainly my opinion.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>