Re: mail vs. news ???

2003-02-22 15:24:43

ken(_at_)oceana(_dot_)com (Ken Murchison)  wrote on 21.02.03 in
<3E563BCB(_dot_)904AAEB(_at_)oceana(_dot_)com>:

I find it interesting, if not disturbing, that some members of the
usenet community seem to think that mail messages and usenet articles
are not the same thing.  AFAICT, from reading the relevant standards,
writing server code for SMTP/LMTP/IMAP/POP3/NNTP, and everyday use, mail
messages and news articles both conform to RFC 2822 (RFC 1036 states as
much).  The only differences that I'm aware of are the following:

Well, obviously news and mail formats are very similar. I don't think
anybody seriously argues against that.

On the other hand, news and mail do have *some* differing requirements,
even in the format. Very few people seem to seriously argue with that,
either.

Saying "they're the same", or "they're different", in this context, at
least to me just means pointing at either the similarities or the
differences and asking that they not be forgotten.

Or in other words, people who "find it disturbing that other people seem
to think they're different" (or the same) are, IMO, misinterpreting what
they read.

(It's somewhat similar to arguing if men and woman are the same, or
different. Both are true, of course, depending on how you look at the
question.)

MfG Kai