RE: gzip-8bit

2003-02-28 09:00:32

Steve Dorner wrote:

My real point is just to say "go team".  I find a non-binary
compressed CTE to be a FAR better thing than a binary one.  Yes,
there are some icky issues here and there, but they pale in
comparison to the fundamental restructuring that binary CTE's
require.  I won't support a binary CTE anytime soon, but an 8-bit
compressed one, I will do.

Steve, just to be crystal clear, I don't think anyone is advocating a
binary compressed CTE, since an 8bit compressed one (simply encoding
NUL, CRL, LF, an escape character (=), and maybe SP and TAB), adds only
2 to 4% overhead.

However, can you (or anyone else) comment on the interest in a 7bit
compressed CTE.  I'm currently leaning toward doing only a deflate-8bit,
and not also doing a deflate-base64. If an 8BitMIME MTA needs to
downconvert for next hop delivery, it would need to implement both
unescaping of the 8bit octets and decompression.  Do you envision this
as a problem?

The reason is to try to minimize the number of CTEs.

So count us as a commercial vendor "on board".

Glad to hear it.

          - dan
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan(_at_)dankohn(_dot_)com>
<http://www.dankohn.com/>  <tel:+1-650-327-2600>