RE: Message-ID practical maximum size

2003-08-29 00:22:03
Hi, Dave,

in the past, I have seen problems with the length of Message-IDs for
messages, which were gatewayed from the Internet to an X.400 network.
After some investigation it turned out that X.400 seems to have a limit
of only 64 characters (if memory serves). Messages with longer
Message-ID's were rejected and undeliverable. As the at-sign cannot be
part of an X.400 message-id without encoding (I believe) there is no
such thing as a left-id in X.400. But you may want to read the MIXER
document in more detail to be sure.

The question remains whether you want to this  (X.400 presence in the
world) into account ;-)

Regards,
Rolf E. Sonneveld
Sonnection B.V.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-822(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-822(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]
On
Behalf Of Dave Crocker
Sent: vrijdag 29 augustus 2003 7:09
To: ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Message-ID practical maximum size

Folks,

DC> What do folks suggest for the largest maximum size of the
left-hand
DC> field of a message-id (id-left)?

Thanks for the various responses.  Most have explored the standards
documented limits pretty well.

Are there any further comments about known, limits in existing
implementations

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>