Re: Dual names, IDN and ASCII, in e-mail addresses?

2003-09-27 10:16:20

Jacob Palme wrote:

If the mail standards were developed anew with no need
for backwards compatibility, one might say that an
e-mail address should look like this:

<N:Göran(_at_)Müller(_dot_)de,I:Goran(_at_)Muller(_dot_)de>.

Only one of the two subfields N and I would then be
mandatory, and both should always reach the same
recipient.

Now, I am fully aware that something like I describe
above is not possible for backwards compatibility
reasons.

A named group may suffice where the syntax permits an address
rather than a single mailbox, e.g.:
[obviously the phrase could use RFC 2047 encoded-words, and
an IDN could be used in any of the group mailboxes]  Named
groups have been part of message syntax since RFC 724, so there
are no backwards compatibility issues (there may be broken
implementations of parsers, but that's a different matter).