Re: Dual names, IDN and ASCII, in e-mail addresses?

2003-09-27 21:36:06

Jacob,

But, again, this has nothing to do with MIME.

JP> I did not especially say that this was a MIME issue,

I was responding to your comment:

JP> One of the areas where MIME still, ten years after its
JP> introduction, often fails is when people copy e-mail

so, please forgive my misunderstanding that your statement that MIME had a
failure really meant that it was not a MIME issue.

JP> This may be an issue which IETF has already discussed and
JP> made a decision about, I have not been able to get funding
JP> to participate in much IETF work in the last years, so I
JP> may have missed work already done.

The work was done in the late '70s, when RFC733 was written.

As some of the other postings have suggested, the issues that are created by
having IDN-based addresses are likely to be more complicated -- and I suspect
more contingent -- than simply needing to list multiple addresses.

This is a topic that would be dangerous to hypothesize about too much, since
we have a poor track record predicting things.  When we have concrete data
about user needs, we can design a solution for them.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>