Re: FYI: BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA)

2003-10-28 13:38:50

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 02:13:35PM -0500, John Cowan wrote:
For myself, I support people in English, and I need to be able to
recognize support requests in French and Spanish so that I can route them
to the right places.  A single Latin-script email address is sufficient
for this.  Adding a Cyrillic-script email address would be as silly
as adding Russian contact information to my business card: I can't do
anything for people who want to communicate with me in Russian anyway.

I have friends all over the word. My name doesn't have any German
umlauts but a lot of do.
How does
    günther(_dot_)größl(_at_)hübnerbräu(_dot_)de
look to you? (This is not an example crafted to be a pain.)
Does your mailclient render this correctly with all the umlauts?
Will a Chinese do? Or a Russian? Or ...?
Aren't we not all on the same mailinglists? We all can talk to each
other using English as the (current) lingua franca on the Internet.
And we can all type our email addresses as every keyboard I know of
is able to produce ASCII characters. Does yours have a mapping for
iso-8859-1 (probably as you have to use French). Does it have a Greek
mapping (iso-8859-7)? Wouldn't it be a pain if you couldn't send email
to the hotel in Athens we're you want to go to the Olymic Games, only
because they have an email address in iso-8859-7 only and you don;t have
the characters on your keyboard? ;-)

If I have latin-1 addresses on my business card and go to some international
fair, do I also need a business card with a ASCII coded address on it?
Do I need a bag only for all the different business cards with my email
address in different codings??
And if I need a ASCII coded address anyway, to avaoid the bag, why would
I want to have another one that cannot be used by probably 98% of the
people on this planet at all?

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299