Re: FYI: BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA)

2003-10-28 09:41:11

Mark Davis wrote:

An international email address would be portable as far a computers are
concerned; the issue would be for people: how to view it and how to key it in
(as you note). In both cases, that depends more on the client software than
the
protocols.

I wouldn't be able to type in an email address in Tamil (though I could
certainly copy and paste it). I would wager that anyone who cares to have his
email used by foreigners would have dual email addresses, or perhaps even
more;
e.g. Tamil, Latin, and Chinese.

I seem to remember this coming up in another discussion and the immediately
following point was how hard it is to do a cut and paste from a business card
with the "native language" email address into a user interface that has no clue.

The problem is there is more than one human/machine interface for email
addresses.  It is a technically simple thing to have multiple addresses, but it
is not technically simple to be certain that the address I give you works when
you try to communicate with me.

--
John Wagner