Re: FYI: BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA)

2003-10-28 14:28:47

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Markus Stumpf wrote:
How does
[snip]
look to you? (This is not an example crafted to be a pain.)

Thanks for a great example!!

It appears to me as:
 "g" <center-dot> "ther.gr" <center-dot> "l(_at_)h" <center-dot> "nerbr"
 <Han character for "moor" (as in a boat)> ".de".

Now, if I set my environment so that I'm interpreting things in Latin-1,
then I see the German string which is Anglicized as:
 guenther(_dot_)groessl(_at_)huebnerbraeu(_dot_)de

Of course, if my environment had been UTF-8 instead of Japanese, it
would have been rendered correctly without change.  But, I still would
have had to change my Japanese input environment to enter that string.  I
would have had to know how to enter umlauts and ess-tset.

If I was a native Japanese, I would have learned the Latin alphabet
without any diacriticals.  I would know how to write my name in the Latin
alphabet, albeit with numerous spelling variances; "Fujishima",
"Huzisima", "Fujisima", "Fuzishima", etc. are all the same name.  Umlauts
(and especially ess-tset) are a different matter.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.