Re: FYI: BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA)

2003-10-28 14:31:20

Mark Crispin scripsit:

Well, then, how many are there, and is there a list?  This will allow us
to eliminate all the non-live scripts from future consideration.

There are a little more than 50 scripts in current use.
http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso15924/document/dis15924.pdf gives
a list, and http://www.unicode.org/Public/4.0-Update/Scripts-4.0.0.txt
can be massaged into a list of scripts currently in Unicode with

        awk '$4 = "#" {print $3}' | sort -u

Those of us who develop system tools build software that is used
everywhere in the world.  Because system tools are not a user interface,
they are not restricted to the set of languages or scripts which are
understood by the author.

True.  But if they write you for support, they have to use a language you
understand; people who can only handle Hindi can't get support from you
and don't need to be able to type your email address (assuming wlg that
you have no Hindi).  This is quite independent of the product type; it
applies just as much to buggy whips as to system software.

Furthermore, we are not talking about the language used by any support
messages to/from me.  We are talking about whether someone in Lower
Slobbovia can enter the developer's email address, and whether the
developer can enter the Lower Slobbovian address.

What's the point of their entering your email address if they can only
write to you in Slobbovian?

--
Eric Raymond is the Margaret Mead               John Cowan
of the Open Source movement.