Re: Getting RFC 2047 encoding right

2003-12-08 11:30:29

Keith Moore writes:
Do you consider sorting a "display purpose"? How about searching given some user input?

seems fine to me.

Well, I do search, and it's extremely expensive to decode all the messages in order to do a search. To search, I must decode when the message goes into the data store.

Storing two instances of the same header is also not a good answer. First of all, it's bad practice. Never keep two separate variables that are supposed to stay in sync.

Second, it only solves the common case - if I go down that path I have problems again soon enough. Suppose I want to answer a message which had an overlong encoded-word. Should I blithely emit overlong encoded-words? Suppose I want to answer with "subject: re: <original> <ticket id>", then I risk having two encoded-words separated only by whitespace, and must do magic in order to preserve that space.

I don't like adding hacks like the "store twice" if I have the same problem again five minutes later.

--Arnt