Re: Getting RFC 2047 encoding right

2003-12-10 14:50:18

The "obvious" way for most MUAs is to fire up an editor and use the subject line it gets back from the editor. And that's what most of them do.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "fire up an editor". I wasn't aware that "most" MUAs these days used external programs to do message editing.

I do suspect that "most" MUAs these days initialize a buffer with the (decoded) subject field and give the user a chance to edit it, along with to/cc/etc. fields and the message body.

In that case things would work better if the MUA could detect whether the user chose to change any of these fields that were initialized from header fields that contained encoded-words, and if no changes were made, to use the original (encoded) field text. For address fields, you'd want to do this on a per-address, rather than per-field basis.