On 1/15/04 at 7:09 PM +0100, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
1. Bruce elimites obs-qp, even though it can match a few pairs
quoted-pair cannot, such as "\" DEL.
Yup, I think that's Bruce's mistake.
2. I think I found a case in which Bruce permits CFWS where it
wasn't before, although I cannot decipher my very cramped margin
notes. It was something like "To: blah: (cfws) a(_at_)b(_dot_)org;".
2822 allows CFWS there.
3. The date syntax is reordered, and four-digit years seem to have
disappeared from the obsolete syntax.
Nope. 2*DIGIT means 2 or more digits, which is correct.
4. obs-time-of-day looks wrong.
obs-time-of-day = hour [CFWS] ":" [CFWS] minute [CFWS] ":" [[CFWS]
obs-time-of-day = hour [CFWS] ":" [CFWS] minute [CFWS] [":" [CFWS] second]
Yup, that looks better.
5. obs-received merits discussion on its own. RFC 2822 says
obs-received = "Received" *WSP ":" name-val-list CRLF
which Bruce changes to
obs-received = "Received" *WSP ":" [CFWS] name-val-list [ ";"
[CFWS] obs-date-time ] CRLF
An incompatible change, but perhaps correct.
Yes, I think Bruce fixes a bug in 2822 here.
6. I don't like Bruce's changes to subject. They mix in RFC 1036
syntax, which IMO does not belong in 2822.
I agree. These should be removed.
7. There may be a few cases where FWS in 2822 is replced by CWFS in
Bruce's grammar. It's a little hard to tell. For example, in Bruce's
grammar there always is CFWS following field-name ":", I'm not sure
the same holds for 2822. It may.
I believe the only place where this is an issue is the Date: field,
and he got that one correct. I see no problems on this one.
8. obs-domain-list is changed in a way I don't understand, from
obs-domain-list = "@" domain *(*(CFWS / "," ) [CFWS] "@" domain)
obs-domain-list = "@" [CFWS] domain *(1*("," [CFWS]) "@" [CFWS] domain)
This was a bug in 2822. It allowed "@example(_dot_)com(_at_)stupid(_dot_)example",
where there is a required comma before the second "@".
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102