Re: Will case of non-ascii character be preserved by IDNA?

2004-01-16 19:56:01

Jacob Palme <jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> writes:

Will case of non-ascii character be preserved by IDNA?

No.  Characters (ASCII and non-ASCII) are case-folded into lowercase
by Nameprep, iff the string contain _any_ non-ASCII character.

If I send a message with the following header:
To: Maria <maria(_at_)münchen(_dot_)net>
Then the mail will arrive to all recipients with this header
exacly as when I sent it as shown above, i.e. in lower case.
"münchen" will be translated to IDNA format, and then back
to user-friendly format at receipt again.

Headers cannot contain non-ASCII, so you must use IDNA before putting
the data in the header, but that's a technicality.

münchen.net => xn--mnchen-3ya.net

Thus, you will send: