Re: Will case of non-ascii character be preserved by IDNA?

2004-01-19 08:11:56

"Charles Lindsey" <chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> writes:

In <iluk73r1dxw(_dot_)fsf(_at_)latte(_dot_)josefsson(_dot_)org> Simon
Josefsson <jas(_at_)extundo(_dot_)com> writes:

Similar in this case; you invoke IDNA on the IDN and then put the
output in the header.

MÜNCHEN.NET => xn--mnchen-3ya.NET

Thus, you will send:

To: MARIA <MARIA(_at_)xn--mnchen-3ya(_dot_)NET>

Which is translated, by the receiver, into:

To: Maria <maria(_at_)münchen(_dot_)NET>

That doesn't seem right. How did the local-part maria come to be in lower
case?

A cut and paste error by the author.  Unfortunately, IDNA doesn't
protect against that.

Seriously, the local part and text name is not relevant in the
example.  For completeness, though, the last header should have been:

To: MARIA <MARIA(_at_)münchen(_dot_)NET>

I hope she is running a spam filter...  (It is with mixed feelings I
have noticed that I get spam for non-ASCII domains.)

Regards,
Simon