Re: making mail traceable

2004-01-16 17:42:53

I may be missing the point here but about a year ago I wrote a draft for a
DNS RR record to keep track of the physical location of the A or MX record
as a "physical postal address" just for this purpose, with the intention of
being able to track back the location of SPAM.

With new state laws I thought it was the way to go,  and then use MTA use
this information.

Would this not help?  If so I have a copy of the draft I am currently
revising.

Al Costanzo
----- Original Message -----
From: "James M Galvin" <galvin+ietf-822(_at_)elistx(_dot_)com>
To: "Dave Crocker" <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
Cc: "ietf-822" <ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 5:02 PM
Subject: Re: making mail traceable

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Dave Crocker wrote:

    >     >  The "Received" header is woefully inadequate for spam tracing
    >
    >     True.  Then again, so is the rest of the message format and mail
    >     transport.
    >
    > I don't agree it's "woefully inadequate."

    When we have some agreement on the information that is needed to
    facilitate spam tracing, then we can decide whether it is better to
    add it to Received or create a new header.

Absolutely.

And let us not forget some means to validate that the information we do
have or get is accurate and correct.  Or is that what Nathaniel and
Keith meant by "traceable?"

Jim