Re: making mail traceable

2004-01-17 15:09:12

To this point I would say, we need to know the physical location of the
machine (node) on the Internet sending the email.

I would say that  DNS is the perfect location for storing this information,
since unlike mail headers it is more difficult to mung around with by the
casual user and usually administrated properly by ISPs.

With the information stored in the DNS IMO, it gives us a second level of
repudiation to protect us all from spammers and help the US inforce the new
law.

Al

----- Original Message -----
From: "James M Galvin" <galvin+ietf-822(_at_)elistx(_dot_)com>
To: "Al Costanzo" <al(_at_)akc(_dot_)com>
Cc: <ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 3:55 PM
Subject: Re: making mail traceable

To the extent it is "information" we agree we need for email to be
traceable and we agree that having it in the DNS is the right place for
it, then it would be helpful.  Dave's point was that we should be
discussing what information we need and agree on that before we try to
agree on where to put it.

Jim